Legal Considerations for Your Home Freelance BizBy: Rachel Goldstein
So you are ready to set up your freelance business in your home? There are a few legal regulations that you should keep in mind.
ZONING LAWSThere are millions of businesses being run from a home office in violation of local zoning regulations. You might want to check with your local county office or zoning department to find out what the zoning laws are in your area. Only then will you know for sure if it is legal to run your business from your home. If your business is going to be run in a residentially zone area, you will need to follow strict guidelines. Some of these guidelines might be where the home business is allowed, type of business, and the amount of space. These guidelines may not inhibit the running of your business at all, but you should find out what these regulations are. And, if you are renting an apartment, check your lease to make sure that you are allowed to run a business from it.
SALES TAX PERMITSAre you planning to buy goods for resale or purchasing materials used in creating a product? Then you require a sales tax number. You will be collecting tax from the buyer and then sending it to the government tax office. An example of this is an artist selling his art. Contact your state or provincial tax office for more details.
BUSINESS NAMEYou will need to register your business name ... Find out more
INSURANCEWhether you are renting or own your own living establishment, you most likely have insurance. With a standard homeowner policy, your home business will not be covered. This means that your homeowner's policy won't cover you for accidents involving your business. To cover your business, you should look into extending your liability insurance. You should also look into a policy endorsement, which will increase your business-related coverage and liability protection.
Article submitted by Allfreelancework.com - 1000s of freelance jobs, articles, and resources. Allfreelance is also host of creative portfolios.
- Ease into your First Entrepreneurial Venture
- The Secret To Protecting Your Business Assets
- Waiting to Incorporate: What A Difference A Date Can Make
- Choosing The Right Business Name
- Making Your Business Legal
- Small Business Q & A: Starting Your Business By The Book
- DBA's, Trademarks and dot com's.
- Today's Entrepreneur - First Steps to Starting Your Business
- Legal Considerations for Your Home Freelance Biz
- The Benefits Of Incorporating Your Business
- Using an LLC to Protect Your Wealth
- Protecting Your Business With Non-Disclosure Agreements
- How to Choose the Proper Entity for Your Business
- DBA: What's in the name?
- Limited Liability Companies: Overview
- Important Financial Decisions Before Forming Your Business